As the world becomes more aware of the dangers of synthetic ingredients in their personal care products, there has been a notable increase of higher sales for organic, chemical-free, and small batch skin care companies.
The base below is the foundation for the BEST natural lip balm recipe you will find, and the business possibilities are endless:
- Sell individually
- Sell in sets of 2, 4, 6, 10 +
- Combine with other products in your line as a gift set
- Wedding favors
- Sell wholesale to local boutiques
- Bulk white label production
- Offer personalized labels for companies or events
The first ten thousand dollars I made from my handmade skin care line came JUST from this lip balm recipe – my customers loved it so much they gifted it to other people, who in turn came back for more, then gifted as well, etc.
So excited to share this with you so that together we can spread the use of chemical-free, all-natural, SAFE products!
ARE YOU A STAY-AT-HOME MOM WITH A PASSION FOR NATURAL LIVING?
Join our weekly newsletter list to get tips on making & selling natural skin care products online while remaining present for your kids!
The Best Natural Lip Balm Recipe for Your Handmade Skin Care Line
Why Sell Natural Lip Balm in Your Ecommerce Shop?
If you have a handmade natural skin care shop, adding lip balm in the mix is a SMART business move for several reasons:
- Almost everyone uses it, so it’s sure to fit in your target market regardless of niche.
- This is a REALLY important product to be natural – it’s sure to be ingested, as well as absorbed into your skin. Definitely not a place that you want a chemical-laden product to be.
- Lip balm is a unisex product, so even if you tend to market towards women, you’ll still snag some buyers outside of your general customer base (depending on how you market yourself).
- If you have a variety of lip balm scents, there are exponential ways to combine them into gift sets (either together or with other products that you make).
Why Is This the Best Organic Lip Balm Recipe Base for Your Line?
- The beeswax base provides a high melting point (96° to be exact)
- It lasts FOREVER and is a constant reminder about your business
- The high profit margin allows you to provide as gift sets, wholesale, or promotional add-ons.
Ingredients & Supplies for Natural Lip Balm Recipe Base
- Engraved Measuring Spoons (If you plan on making a whole boatload of natural products, I highly recommend getting stainless steel with the measurements engraved…the oils quickly take the paint/ink off of the handles if printed on, and then you can’t tell which size is which)
- Pure Essential Oils (optional & varies based on blend…this article covers the best natural lip balm recipe base…all 21 of our proprietary lip balm scents from essential oils are available separately here)
Natural Lip Balm Recipe
Though I have experimented with using lip balm filling trays on several occasions, it’s just not my thing. While it seems like using the tray would save tons of time, the clean up and fixing of sink holes was significant. I would rather be slow and steady than fill them up fast and do massive cosmetic reworking. Filling with the droppers has also helped me to use every single bit of product with no waste (The mantra that my husband hears about 20 times a day: “Waste not, want not, that’s what I say!”)
Why? As the lip balm is hardening it creates a ‘sink hole’ in the middle of your poured balm when it is in a tube. Letting it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before filling completely will result in a more aesthetically pleasing product.
Things Worth Noting
- Beeswax pellets/pastilles melt a heck of a lot faster than blocks of beeswax.
- As my product line is 100% all-natural, I have never used flavors, sweeteners, dyes, or fragrance oils in any of my products. I do not know how the above recipe would react to the addition of these ingredients, so you will have to do that at your own risk.
- I never ‘double’ this recipe (or any of my recipes), even when creating wholesale orders of hundreds of tubes. Making many small batches rather than one large batch ensures consistency in every tube.
- This recipe contains beeswax which makes it harden pretty quickly. After the balm is off the stove, it could harden in your glass dropper as you are transferring it into the tubes. If this happens, remove the rubber top off of the glass dropper and push the balm down and out of the dropper hole back into the boiler with your wooden skewer to remelt.
- If your bowl of lip balm hardens while transferring to the tubes, reheat the double boiler on the lowest setting until liquid again and remove as soon as possible.
- I recommend keeping a separate dropper and skewer for each lip balm scent you make so that there is never crossing over of any essential oils. This ensures consistency and is a good practice for all of your ingredients and supplies, especially with items that may cause allergies (such as Sweet Almond Oil).
- Do not use the plastic pipettes to transfer the heated, liquid lip balm into the lip balm tubes. They WILL melt. You will have contaminated product and burnt fingers. The glass droppers ARE necessary if using this method.
- If this is your first time considering ecommerce as a side hustle or full-time business idea, I highly recommend starting your journey on Etsy. It is the fastest way to get comfortable selling online without the tech headache involved on other platforms.
Can You Use Essential Oils in Lip Balm?
Abso-freakin-lutely. Please do! Essential oils are a natural way to scent your balms, they make a really great variety of gift set possibilities for your line, and may provide therapeutic benefits to boot.
- Keep your dilution to under 2% total oils.
- Avoid using ‘hot’ essential oils in any skin care product, such as cinnamon bark, spearmint, and oregano.
- Use a trusted essential oil supplier (we use and recommend Rocky Mountain Oils – their oils are guaranteed pure, you get free shipping in the U.S., and it’s not an MLM company).
- For a quick overview on which essential oils do what, check out our Ultimate Guide to Natural Ingredients for Natural Skin Care, Green Beauty, and Aromatherapy.
Want Free Listings on Etsy?
I see you getting all inspired over there, you creative mama. It’s time to do something for YOU.
If you haven’t started your Etsy shop yet, snag your first FORTY listings for FREE by clicking the link below! Holla!
(only applies to individuals that haven’t opened a shop yet)
I know this recipe is going to be a SLAM DUNK for you and your online business! Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions, hiccups, or handmade skin care inquiries as you get comfortable with the BEST natural lip balm recipe available!
Be sure to follow me on your favorite social media platform(s) to stay up-to-date on the latest features and to get some daily mompreneur business tips and inspiration!
READY FOR MORE AWESOME (FOR FREE)?
Get 17 pages of tips from maker mamas in the natural skin care scene…vendors, ingredients, ecommerce platforms, getting repeat customers, and even a link to join our mompreneur’s mastermind group. All. For. Free.